reversing direction of bond

User 870ab5b546

25-03-2013 13:32:40

Please add a function in MarvinSketch for reversing the direction of a stereobond or a coordinate bond in the contextual and applet menus.  Right now, it appears that reversing the direction of a bond in MarvinSketch is possible only if there is a toolbar button for that kind of bond.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)  

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

26-03-2013 13:13:41

Hi Bob,

you can change the direction of the bond by clicking on it.

Regards,
Istvan 

User 870ab5b546

26-03-2013 13:38:40

Yes, I know, but one needs to have selected the toolbar button for that kind of bond for clicking on the bond to work.  No toolbar button, no joy.  That's why you should have the option in the contextual menu as well.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

26-03-2013 13:48:36

Ok, but what is the difference between selecting a bond type (or with the help of its keyboard shortcut) then click on the bond, and clicking on a button in the toolbar, and then click on the bond? As I feel the usual case is to draw a bond, and set its direction rigth after placing it onto the canvas, not just changing the bond directions in a drawing, am I wrong?

User 870ab5b546

26-03-2013 13:52:06

If there is no toolbar button for that type of bond, and you don't happen to know the keyboard shortcut for that type of bond (I'm a longtime Marvin user, and I don't know what is the keyboard shortcut for a coordinate bond), then you can't change the direction of the bond by clicking on it.  You can still draw such a bond by right-clicking on an existing bond and changing its type throught the contextual menu; you just can't change its direction.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

26-03-2013 13:58:44

I see,

it is an easy task to do, and seems a legit request after you have cleared the situation a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion, I have to talk with Efi about the release where we would like to and are able to include this feature, she will inform you after the decision was made, but she is on holiday until thursday, so please be patient in the mean time.

Regards,
Istvan 

User 870ab5b546

26-03-2013 14:43:02

Related question: Is it possible to use a configuration file to remove some of the possibilities from the list of bonds in the bond group toolbar button?  If not, is it possible for me to make my own bond group toolbar button?  I would like to avoid having a separate toolbar button for the coordinate bond, because I think students will confuse it with a graphical arrow button; but I don't want all the search query bonds in the bond group button to be available to students as well.  

ChemAxon f052bdfe3c

08-04-2013 09:15:28

It is not possible to use a configuration file to remove items from the list of bonds in the bond group toolbar button.
We discussed it with the development team it needs several week development time, and we do not have capacity for this currently.

About your original request: you are right, it would be reasonable to have this kind of "reverse" button in the contextual menu. I put it into our "To do" list, but our scedule is very tight, we cannot do it for 6.1.

User 870ab5b546

08-04-2013 14:03:34

ehoffmann wrote:

About your original request: you are right, it would be reasonable to have this kind of "reverse" button in the contextual menu. I put it into our "To do" list, but our schedule is very tight, we cannot do it for 6.1.

OK.  For anyone else who is wrestling with this problem, I figured out a workaround.  Change the bond to a wedge, reverse its direction with the toolbar wedge button, then change it back to a coordinate bond.