"Signature of program is corrupt or invalid" error?

User 7ac5d96d87

22-01-2016 22:47:24

I have a student trying to download Marvin Beans for scientists for our online chem class- and every time she tries to download and install, it keeps giving her an error message that says the signature is corrupt or invalid.  What does this mean and how do we fix it? (totally NOT a computer person here... but do love Marvin Sketch and need my students to use it....).  I attached the screenshot she sent me of the error message- I'm not sure her exact system parameters yet (waiting on reply)

ChemAxon b62f37c21a

25-01-2016 09:06:59

Hello,

thank you for your report.

My first guess would be that the file damaged during the download and I would recommend downloading the file again, but you mentioned "every time", so it is strange.

My second guess is that the antivirus tool makes the file damaged, we have seen such problem. To try it, suspend the antivirus service for a while before you download.

I have just checked some of the recent installers and my system says the signing is OK, by right clicking on the installer file, select Properties, Digital Signatures tab, selecting "ChemAxon Kft" then pressing the button Details. It says for me: "This digital signature is OK." I tested marvinbeans-16.1.18.0-windows.exe and the same _with_jre.exe.

Which installer did you download? Please check and send its exact size (available in the Properties dialog).

Best regards,

Gabor Vasko

ChemAxon b62f37c21a

25-01-2016 11:28:01

Hi,

we have finally found the root cause of the problem on Microsoft's forum site:

My code signing certificate had a SHA1 signature, and anything signed
with such a certificate after the end of 2015 was being flagged as an
invalid signature.  We had the certificate re-issued with SHA256
for the signature, and that fixed the problem.

We are already in the process of updating our digital signing certificates, these Java installers have not been updated yet. Although if you check the signature in the Properties dialog, it is OK, you can run the installers anyway, there should be an option for that (right click).

Best regards,
Gabor Vasko

ChemAxon b62f37c21a

03-02-2016 16:02:45

Hello,

please note that this issue has been fixed since 16.2.1.0.

Best regards,
Gabor Vasko