Cannot Run installdotnetapi.bat Marvin 16.1.11.0

User 8c57fe7217

18-01-2016 14:39:55

I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit with MS Office 32-bit. I have installed both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java 8 update 66 as well as Java SE Development Kit 8 update 66. In addition, I have Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5 and 4.6 installed; version 3.5 does not appear to install in Windows 8.1. My MS Office version is 2013 Professional Plus 32 bit.

Every time I try to install JChem 16.1.11.0, the installation appears to run okay until the end of the MarvinBeans installation, at which an error pops up saying, "Cannot run installdotnetapi.bat".

I have tried installing the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of JChem both with and without included Java. I have also tried installing Marvin Beans separately, both 32 bit and 64 bit with and without included Java. All to no avail. I get the same error each time.

I have included the installation logs from my latest attempt to install the 32 bit version of JChem (including Marvin Beans) with included Java. I have renamed them by appending either "marv" or "jchem" after "log", and I have put these in a Zip archive named "logs.zip".

Thanks you.

-- Rudy

ChemAxon b62f37c21a

18-01-2016 15:28:24

Dear Rudy,

Please try to turn on .NET framework 3.5. It is available in the Control Panel as "Turn Windows features on or off". Once it is turned on, the installation should go without the error message.

Best regards,

Gabor Vasko

User 8c57fe7217

18-01-2016 15:37:44

gvasko wrote:

Dear Rudy,

Please try to turn on .NET framework 3.5. It is available in the Control Panel as "Turn Windows features on or off". Once it is turned on, the installation should go without the error message.

Best regards,

Gabor Vasko

Dear Gabor,

Thank you. It was partially turned on before. Now I will check the two boxes on the expanded form and try again.

Given my system, which version of JChem would be optimal? (32 or 64 bit; with or without included Java)?

I will reboot now and try installing again. I will post the results.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Rudy

User 8c57fe7217

18-01-2016 15:50:39

rjrich _at_ umich.edu wrote:

gvasko wrote:

Dear Rudy,

Best regards,

Gabor Vasko

Dear Gabor,

Thank you. It was partially turned on before. Now I will check the two boxes on the expanded form and try again.

Given my system, which version of JChem would be optimal? (32 or 64 bit; with or without included Java)?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Rudy

Dear Gabor,

After checking both boxes so that a checkmark now appears for .NET Framework 3.5, I uninstalled JChem/Marvin and rebooted. Then I installed JChem/Marvin again using the 32 bit plus Java option. However, once again, at the last step of installing Marvin, I got the same error, "cannot run installdotnetapi.bat".

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Rudy

User 8c57fe7217

18-01-2016 16:14:56

gvasko wrote:

Dear Rudy,

Best regards,

Gabor Vasko

Dear Gabor,

Thanks.

Best regards,

Rudy

Dear Gabor,

After checking both boxes so that a checkmark now appears for .NET Framework 3.5, I uninstalled JChem/Marvin and rebooted. Then I installed JChem/Marvin again using the 32 bit plus Java option. However, once again, at the last step of installing Marvin, I got the same error, "cannot run installdotnetapi.bat".

Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Rudy

Hi again Gabor,

I tried something else. I installed 32-bit JChem for .NET. Then I reinstalled JChem 32 bit including Java. Again, I got the error about "cannot run installdotnetapi.bat". However, I tested copy/paste from MarvinSketch into MS Word and OLE functionality, and now this works. So, it seems that the JChem installer still thinks that it cannot install the .NET API, but with this installed separately, JChem/Marvin can make use of JChem .NET API.

I checked my installed programs in Control Panel, and now it lists JChem .NET API 16.1.1100.2775.

This workaround seems to work, but it would appear that there is still something wrong with the JChem installer (and/or my system).

Best regards,

Rudy

ChemAxon b62f37c21a

19-01-2016 10:00:36

Hi Rudy,

I didn't manage to reproduce this behavior.

Since the plain JChem .NET API installer worked, as you wrote, the .NET API installation in the MarvinBeans installer also should work, so there is the problem.

Could you please check and send the log file in
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ChemAxon\MarvinBeans\x86\16.1.11.0\installdotnetapi.log

%ALLUSERSPROFILE% usually is C:\ProgramData

Regarding your questions:
If you use MS Office 32 or 64-bit, we recommend choosing the same type of installers from our download page.
If you have Java installed, you can use the installer without Java. However, be careful when you remove a version of Java from your computer (e.g. when you switch to the next major version), because the installer tool we use tries to uninstall our product using the same version of Java as it used during the installation process.

Best regards,

Gabor

User 8c57fe7217

19-01-2016 14:24:48

gvasko wrote:

Hi Rudy,

I didn't manage to reproduce this behavior.

Since the plain JChem .NET API installer worked, as you wrote, the .NET API installation in the MarvinBeans installer also should work, so there is the problem.

Could you please check and send the log file in
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ChemAxon\MarvinBeans\x86\16.1.11.0\installdotnetapi.log

%ALLUSERSPROFILE% usually is C:\ProgramData

Regarding your questions:
If you use MS Office 32 or 64-bit, we recommend choosing the same type of installers from our download page.
If you have Java installed, you can use the installer without Java. However, be careful when you remove a version of Java from your computer (e.g. when you switch to the next major version), because the installer tool we use tries to uninstall our product using the same version of Java as it used during the installation process.

Best regards,

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

I checked the directory that you mentioned, but it was empty. There was no "installdotnetapi.log" file or any other file in the directory.

Nevertheless, everything seems to working, despite the fact that I got the previously mentioned error messages during installation.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Rudy