Trouble with pasting from MarvinSketch to Marvin JS

User f3c3831e34

12-11-2015 16:29:04

Hi,

I have no success with pasting from Mavrin Sketch to Marvin JS. Every time I copy a structure I get the same error on pasting:

I tried using both Marvinbeans 15.10.26.0 and newer 15.11.9.0 versions (with JRE) on Windows 7 with Marvin JS demo on your site.

Regards, Sovsem

ChemAxon f052bdfe3c

12-11-2015 17:23:03

Hello Sovsem,

After selecting the structure in MarvinSketch please choose `copy as MRV` from the contextual menu then press Ctr+V in Marvin JS. 

I appreciate your feedback whether it works that way.

Thank you,

Efi 

User f3c3831e34

13-11-2015 16:04:43

Yes, pasting works as expected if I specify the output format explicitly. However it breaks usual workflow of chemists.

After some research I think I find the root of evil. It seems that problem is not in Marvin JS but in MarvinSketch/Java interaction: copy to MarvinJS stops working if MarvinSketch runs on 32-bit version of JRE (which is bundled with "Installer + JRE" download). I have tested the guess on my machine with different version of JRE. Could you confirm the same is true in your environment? It may be worth also to document the issue.

Regards,

Sovsem

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

16-11-2015 13:19:42

Hi Sovsem,

the behavior you are experiencing seems a side effect to me. Let me share you some details about the clipboard functionalities in MarvinSketch, and some technical parts of the problem.

The MarvinSketch editor copies also OLE objects. To do so we are using external binary libraries, these libraries can work if the library is built for the same architecture as the Java Runtime Environment, you are using. So if you managed to connect a 64-bit JRE, to the 32-bit version with bundled Java, then the OLE related and other native libraries are not working in your environment.
This means that MarvinSketch will place the mrv representation of the structure in plain text to the clipboard along with other formats, so MarvinJS will be able to gather the plain text mrv from the clipboard.
The plain text mrv is not presented on the clipboard if the OLE libraries are working because in this case Microsoft Word for example favors the plain text representation instead of the OLE object when pasting data from the clipboard, and we want it to paste the OLE object not the molecule source into the documents.

So in this question we have to decide whether to ease the data transfer in the direction of Marvin JS or MS Office, and currently we are supporting the latter.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

Regards,
Istvan 

User f3c3831e34

24-11-2015 18:05:53

Istvan,

Thank you for such detailed in depth answer. We experienced that sometimes Marvin stops exposing plain text MRV even on 64-bit version of JRE (see screenshot). However the workaround you suggest is good enough coupled with your explanation.

Thank you again,

Sovsem