Cannot convert smiles to 3D

User 96e1912746

23-05-2012 20:31:23

Hello all,

I have been trying to convert some molecules from smiles to pdb and xyz and I get the following error.  These molecules are buckyball derivatives and I  have attached a couple of them. I would be really thankful if someone can help me out with it.

Multiple anchor bases
Exception in Clean3D. Failed structure:CCCOC(=O)CCC1(c2ccccn2)C23c4c5-c6c2c2c7c8c9c%10c(c%11c4c4c%12c5C5%13c%14c%12c%12c%15c%16c%17c%18c%19c%20c%21c%18c%18c%16c%16c%22c%18c%18c%21c%21c%23c%20c%20c%24c%19c%19c%17c%15c%14c%14c%15c%17c(c6C5%15C%13(CCC(=O)OCCC)c5ccccn5)c2c2c7c(c%23c%20c2c%17c%24c%19%14)c9c%21c%18c%10c%22c%11c4c%12%16)C138
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.build.BuildSequence$Build.getAnchorBase(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.build.BuildSequence$BuildFuse.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.build.BuildSequence$BuildFuse.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.build.BuildSequence.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.build.FragClean.startCleanOnSingleFragment(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.interfacing.InvokeFFFBuildCalculation.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.interfacing.MultifragMoleculeAdapter.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.interfacing.CxnMoleculeAdapter.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modelling.interfacing.InvokeCalculation.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modules.Clean3D.modfunc_0(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.modules.Clean3D.modfunc(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.struc.MoleculeGraph.clean(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.struc.Molecule.clean(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.calculations.ConformerPlugin.calculateConformers(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.calculations.ConformerPlugin.run(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.plugin.concurrent.PluginWorkUnit.call(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.marvin.plugin.concurrent.ReusablePluginWorkUnit.call(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.util.concurrent.marvin.CompositeWorkUnit.call(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.util.concurrent.processors.InputOrderedWorkUnitProcessor.process(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.util.concurrent.processors.InputOrderedWorkUnitProcessor.processInput(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.util.concurrent.processors.WorkUnitWorker.work0(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.util.concurrent.processors.WorkUnitWorker.work(Unknown Source)
    at chemaxon.util.concurrent.worker.Worker$1.call(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
    at chemaxon.util.concurrent.worker.Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:334)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:166)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
Clean failed.

ChemAxon d26931946c

29-05-2012 13:18:15

Hi, 

Thanks for the report, we started to investigate the problem.

Sorry for the late relpy.

Regards, 

Peter

User 96e1912746

29-05-2012 20:10:54

Thanks Peter for taking a look at it :)

ChemAxon 8b644e6bf4

08-06-2012 08:56:38

Dear Supriya,

Thanks for the bug report. We will notify You in this topic when this bug is fixed.

It seems that an internal error in the 3D builder caused this failure. As a workaround you can try using our simpler MM based tools (geometry optimization, molecular dynamics) to try to generate valid 3D conformations.

Sorry for the inconvenience; if you have any further questions please feel free to contact us,

Regards,

Gabor

ChemAxon 8b644e6bf4

08-06-2012 14:26:34

Dear Supriya,

Using the workaround method described earlier i was able to generate 3D geometry for all of the structures. (Note that it is might better to use 4fs step time).

The structures in 3D are attached in sdf format.

regards,

Gabor

User 96e1912746

08-06-2012 15:06:54

Hi Gabor,

Thank you for working on it. However I could not figure out how to do the geometry optimization. Do I need to download a plugin or something? I could not find it under any of the tabs in marvin view.

Moreover, are all of these steps possible to execute in command line as well?

ChemAxon 8b644e6bf4

02-07-2012 13:31:16

Dear Supriya,

Sorry for the late answer

However I could not figure out how to do the 
geometry optimization. Do I need to download a plugin or something? I
could not find it under any of the tabs in marvin view.

In mview right click on the structure/cell to bring up the context menu and make option "Structure" - "Clean 3D" - "Cleaning method" - "Gradient optimize" be selected, then rigth click again and select "Structure" - "Clean 3D" -"Clean in 3D".

Moreover, are all of these steps possible to execute in command line as well?

You can invoke geometry optimization in molconvert using

molconvert -3:c2o1 sdf [INPUTFILE]

You can invoke MD calculation from cxcalc, however since the workaround described before needs extensive manual supervision i would recommend the GUI method.

Regards,

Gabor