Problem displaying protonated amine groups/ammonium ions

User e281a05693

13-12-2011 18:56:44

I am attempting to visualize compounds in MarvinView 5.7 based of their SMILES. The compounds were downloaded from BioCyc. BioCyc leaves out hydrogens in their amine group/ammonium ion SMILES (e.g.  for ammonium chloride is  [Cl-][N+]). MarvinView then reads those compounds as nitrogen radicals (ammonium chloride would be displayed as [Cl-  NH2+]) which, of course, isn't right. I had previously been using MarvinView 3.5.1, and that version correctly displayed these type of compounds (no radicals). Is there anyway I can get MarvinView 5.7 to automatically add the extra hydrogen, so they won't be displayed as radicals? Thank you.

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

14-12-2011 14:26:05

Hi,

I moved this topic to the structure representation forum, because it is related to SMILES import. You will get an answer soon.

Best regards,

Akos

ChemAxon 25dcd765a3

14-12-2011 22:26:12

Hi!

According to the SMILES documentation if you write an atom inside square brackets you should define the number of  implicit Hydrogen atoms. In the mentioned early version this was a bug, which is fixed.

Regarding the question how can you reach the same functionality? You should remove all radical information from the atoms and run valenceCheck on the molecule.

Here is a simple API example:

Molecule m = MolImporter.importMol("[Cl-][N+]");
for (MolAtom a : m.getAtomArray()) {
    a.setRadical(0);
}
m.valenceCheck();

I hope this helps

Andras