IUPAC Name... which one?

User dfeb81947d

01-12-2009 14:16:27

Dear Support,

In JChem license there is a "Structure To Name Plugin" and "IUPAC Naming". Are those too used for calculation of Iupac Name from Molecule?

I was in JChem API three way to calculate Iupac Name from Molecule object:

- molecule.toFormat("name");

- using MolConverter

- using IUPACNamingPlugin

in IUPACNamingPlugin there is traditionnal name and preferred Name... Which one is generated with molecule.toFormat("name")? Which one is the true IUPAC Name one can find in litterature?

Thank you for your priceless help

Warmest Regards,

Jack

ChemAxon e274e1bada

01-12-2009 14:24:57

Hi,

I have moved this topic to the appropriate forum. The naming tool experts will respond soon.

Best Regards, Edvard

User dfeb81947d

01-12-2009 14:43:13

Thank you very much.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I haven't seen this topic... mea maxima culpa.

Also forget about my last question I read the IUPAC website, so I have the answer. But I'd still like to know what toFormat() and MolConverter gives as IUPAC Name and the difference between the two PlugIn entry in License.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Jack

ChemAxon e7b9408ca1

01-12-2009 14:46:20

Dear Jacques,

The "Structure To Name Plugin" license is needed for batch name calculation. "IUPAC Naming" is an old name for it.

molecule.toFormat("name") generates the "preferred IUPAC name". You can use molecule.toFormat("name:t") to generate the traditional name (same syntax name:t with MolConverter).

There is no unique name for a structure, depending on the context one or the other might be more appropriate. For instance, "aspirin" is a traditional name, and "2-(acetyloxy)benzoic acid" the preferred IUPAC name.

Let us know if we can further clarify, or if you need different name generation options.

User dfeb81947d

03-12-2009 13:12:54

Thank you very much, it's clear to me.

Best Regards,

Jack

ChemAxon e7b9408ca1

04-12-2009 14:28:23

You're welcome. Note that upcoming version 5.3 will support the generation of traditional names in many more cases than 5.2.