loading a structure in MarvinSketch from raw string

User 08353716d8

25-02-2009 17:34:47

Hi all, first post, any help with this would be much appreciated.

background: we are an online homework/testing provider and now want to use MarvinSketch in some of our questions. The desire would be that a student answers the question, then we save the SMILES string in our database (and grade it using our own proprietary software) and repopulate MarvinSketch if/when the student returns.

I've got everything working up to the last step, what I haven't been able to find so far is a way to pass in mol data without it being in a separate file. the mol applet parameter (our preferred method) and setMol() both take the path to a file as input, whereas what I want to do is pass in the raw SMILES string right out of our database (we don't want to bog our server with potentially tens of thousands of mol files, one for every instance of a student answering an MSketch question). Does anyone know how to do this? Apologies if I've overlooked an obvious answer to the problem, i pored through the documentation and forum posts but didn't see anything that looked like our problem.

thanks ahead of time.

User 08353716d8

25-02-2009 19:21:35

never mind about this, found my problem elsewhere on further inspection ... sorry to bother